Friday, January 8, 2010

haiku

In honor of reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog (thank you, Alison and Kristen) I decided to write some haikus at work.
We have this insanely mundane task of filling out a "Values Walk" three time a day. Essentially, it's a checklist of the following things:
is the cafe clean enough that people feel welcome and actually want to stay?
are partners engaging with customers? ie Hi! Thanks! Have a great day!
can customers see the employees working together? ie are they biting each others' heads off?
So, in light of the Hedgehog and choosing to take my time on a task that is simply busy work, I wrote all my observations as haikus. I will leave you with my closing line:
All are efficient.


ps, is the plural of haiku haikus or haiku? please correct me.

1 comment:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

meaghan! i love that you love elegance. i need to reread it. maybe tonight. please buy jack kerouac's haiku book. it is square and small and beautiful.